Time for April favs for my favs! For those of you who are new here, HI! Welcome to my lil corner of the interwebz. Every month I make a list of my favorite products/music/movies/anything I damn well please and post it to this here blog.
- Suicide KaleI’ve been waiting to post about this movie all month dudes. It is seriously so good. If you have been searching for a dark comedy starring actual queer people playing queer people, look no further. There are also people that look like normal people in this movie (POC can I get a hellz yeah!). It is a peak inside the neuroses that goes on in long term relationships and the fleeting nature of new relationships. It was written by Brittani Nichols and she also stars in the film. It also stars Jasika Nicole, Brianna Baker (hubba hubba), and Penn Fisher. It is also directed by Carly Usdin, who is amazing for various reasons. You will feel almost as uncomfortable as you would if you were actually in the situation that occurs in the movie. But at the end of it all, you are able to say WTF and laugh a bit, which is always great. You can rent Suicide Kale on Amazon ($5 yo!) and iTunes.
- Wildfang’s Ultimate S/S Button Up ShirtI seriously can’t explain to you how long I have been searching for a button up shirt that fits my body. I have wasted so much money buying button ups from the men’s section only to try them on and realize they are too long or too big in the shoulders or there’s a weird button gap. Even button ups from the women’s section of stores have given me issues in the past, so I kind of just resorted to not buying them. But as you can see from the picture above, I look DOPE in a well fit button up. And after years of searching, I finally found one that fits like a glove. Wildfang is a Portland, Oregon based fashion line. They’re amazing. Especially for us queer folks. Lots of androgynous wear. Lots of feminist wear. PERFECT. They created a line of button up shirts (short and long sleeve) made specifically to fit women’s bodies. But they aren’t “women’s cut” or super feminine. They just look like men’s button ups. Again, PERFECT. The fabric is light and breathable. They’ve got a bunch of different patterns, and they are coming out with new ones all the time. Check them out if you’re tired of searching high and low for a slick button up that *actually* fits you!
- ChelseaI think I’ve written about Chelsea Handler’s Netflix show on here before, but Season 2 just got started and I’m hooked all over again. If you love Chelsea for her humor, you have to watch her talk show on Netflix. She talks about all the shit going on in the world, but puts a hilarious spin on all of it. She makes fun of Trump A LOT, so if you love that as much as me, watch it. The shows are an hour long and air every Friday.
- Diet Cig and Kendrick LamarDiet Cig is a young two piece band from New York and they rule. Their genre could be defined as 90s style pop punk. They’ve definitely got edge. They just came out with their first full length album, Swear I’m Good At This. It has this nostalgic quality about it and the perfect ratio of slow to fast songs.Song suggestions: Apricot, Road Trip, Bath Bomb, and Link in Bio.
I was trying really hard not to write about Kendrick’s album in this post because I feel like everyone is obsessed with it right now, but I couldn’t help myself. I’ve been a fan of Kendrick for a while and I’ve had the opportunity to see him live a few times (spoiler alert: it’s LIT). I wasn’t a huge fan of his last album, there were a few songs I bumped for a while, but I didn’t love the album as a whole. His newest album, Damn. is nothing short of genius though. I can’t even really put into words how much I love it. If you haven’t listened to it, listen to it once all the way through (in order) and make your own judgement.
Song suggestions: YAH, LOYALTY, LOVE, and HUMBLE.
- Lens WipesAll of my glasses wearers! I finally found some lens wipes that get the job done. I’ve been looking for a while to find some glasses wipes that actually work. I get smudges on my lenses pretty much every hour or so, and most days they are covered in smudges by the end of the day. I used to carry a microfiber cloth with me to clean them, but that just became really tedious. I was at Target the other day browsing and came across these so I thought I’d try them out. 60 individually packaged wipes come in the box and I believe one box was only like $2-$3. They are tiny wipes, but they have little textured grooves on them (non scratch of course) and they are moist. MOIST. What a wonderful word! They are barely wet to the touch, and they have a vague smell of rubbing alcohol. But they work so well. And the packages are super slim so easy to throw a couple in your car, backpack, pocket, whatever.
- Layrite Natural Matte Cream
I’m not much of a product person. Especially when it comes to hair products. I have short hair, it is naturally wavy. It is brown. I have never colored it. It is thick. Other than that, I know nothing about hair or hair products. The lady that cuts my hair, always tries to recommend products to me, but I either don’t like them or they are way too expensive. I saw Layrite pomade on someone’s instagram this month and thought maybe I should try it. I like pomades that aren’t sticky and aren’t heavy. I don’t need anything high hold or super shiny. So I looked on Layrite’s website to see if they had anything to fit my needs, and lucky for me, they did! This stuff is a cream based hair product (so not like a typical pomade). It is very smooth and once rubbed between your hands it becomes invisible. It also has a matte finish, which I love because I don’t like much shine on my hair. It is medium hold, which I also like because it gives your hair room to be tousled or piece-y. If you have short hair, and you want something medium hold that isn’t shiny, try this stuff. I ordered mine on Amazon and the jar was actually a little bigger than expected. Also as a bonus! It smells like sugar cookies!
Hopefully there’s something on this post you’ll find intriguing enough to try. Check some of this stuff out fam bam! Until next time, adios amigos!